Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to Grow Pumpkins - Growing Pumpkins in Florida


It's that time of year! I'f you haven't yet and are considering it, you definitely should get a move on! It's pumpkin planting season! For all of you who celebrate Halloween, you know they're a staple of the holiday, decorating a majority of porches owned by parents of children. The activity of carving a pumpkin, baking the seeds, making pumpkin pie and illuminating their goofy, and sometimes down-right scary faces. The farmers of yesteryear must of been pretty persuasive and ingenious to create such a boom of sales!

The majority of the larger pumpkins used for carving jack-o-lanterns take an estimated 110 days to fully develop. However, with Florida's strong and ever-present sun, you can expect slightly faster than average yields. Miniature pumpkins, however only take 80 days to fully develop, and are fun for everyone! You can get upwards of 40 of them on one vine! I would suggest buying both varieties of seeds to get a feel for both and help you decide what your personal preference is.

When planting the seeds it is important to plant them in a small mound of soil. Pumpkins prefer organic soils and therefore the sandy top surface of sand here in south Florida is not ideal. However, in many areas if you dig down 2 or 3 feet, there is a rich most soil that is ideal. If you don't have the time and energy to proceed with this step (Or simply don't want to go tearing your lawn up!) any bags of topsoil will do.

Now, when you construct the mounds it will be necessary to moisten the soil as you go along, before planting. This is because the sand here in Florida is extra resistant to water, deflecting it with stubborn ease. (If you've opted for bags of topsoil this process can be avoided, as it quite enjoys taking up water.)

After planting your mounds you can further ensure a good harvest by digging a small "moat" in a circle around your mound. This will help retain moisture when watering, and take time off your hands when it rains. When watering pumpkins it is important to remember to water at the base of the stalk, pouring the water directly where the roots can find it. Pumpkins are sensitive to water on their leafs, and can even encourage mildew when wet at night. Remember, your pumpkins may look wilted in the day time, but they actually enjoy the sun quite bit, and will look fin a few hours when it cools down.

Most of all it's important to remember to have fun! Your children may enjoy helping in the garden for this task, and may even take pride in it as I did when I was young. I'll be posting pictures of my seedlings that were planted 5 days ago soon! Check back for more!

See also: Progress With Pumpkins

4 comments:

  1. Hi again,

    You know what would help you get visitors is if we knew where you are in FL. I'm assuming from what you grow it's somewhere south of Zone 9. Do a page about yourself! I bet you have a great story. Visit my blog and comment and I'll put you on the Blogroll of my favorite Florida gardening sites. http://theconsummategardener.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'd be great! And you're correct, I'm in 10a! I'm glad to hear you're interested. I think I'll do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I planted my seeds last February and the vines are looking very healthy and incredibly long however all the flowers that come out simply fall off after two days, leaving a sad dead stem. Should I be worried? Is this normal ? Should I trim my pumpkin plant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planting all of my squashes at the base of fruit trees so they can climb and receive protection. My pumpkin is growing at the base of a Key Lime dwarf tree and the vines are very healthy and the flowers are staying. I have a tomato cage around them to assist with climbing. Water is an issue since I reside in Central Florida. So far, no fungus. I started my seeds in a small portable greenhouse and they are about one foot tall at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete