Search This Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Progress with Pumpkins!

After four days of rain, I was finally able to observe my pumpkin seedlings planted the day prior to the half week long storm. They're doing great! I've attached a photograph of the five day old seedlings with a house-key in view for size comparison.

A tip for fellow pumpkin growers at this stage is to plant the seeds somewhat shallow in the mounds. One third of my mounds have their seedlings either just emerging, or not yet at all. I attribute this to my caution with how deep I planted them, and confirmed this thought by brushing of a half inch of sand from the top of the affected mounds. Lo-and-behold, i had a seedling anxious to emerge!

In other news, my Java Plum trees are beginning to produce fruit!

I can't wait to turn these Java Plums into jam! Stick with me to see how it turns out!



See also: How to Grow Pumpkins in Florida

See also: Java Plum

1 comment:

  1. Did growing pumpkins work for you? I would love to grow pumpkins but I know it can be difficult in South Florida.

    ReplyDelete